Dual 1226 turntable. Classic Vintage. Fully revitalised. Shure M91 magnetic cartridge.
The Dual company was established on February 1st 1907 in Black Forest (Germany) by two brothers, Christian and Joseph Steidinger, as a fine mechanics factory specialising in manufacturing of clockwork and gramophone parts. In 1927, Gebrüder Steidinger changed its name to Dual in reference to the dual-mode power supplies which allowed gramophones to be powered from the mains or with a wind-up mechanism. Soon after, the company began producing turntables of its own. After the Second World War, it became the biggest manufacturer of turntables in Europe. However, Dual, managed by the Germans, did not withstand the Japanese competition and after the bankruptcy in 1982 it was sold to Thomson. In 1988 it was bought by Schneider Rundfunkwerke AG, a German company. Between 1970 and 1990 it also produced other audio and video equipment such as: cassette players, VCRs, CD players etc.
In 1993-34, Dual was split into:
– Dual Phono Gmbh acquired by a company called Alfred Fehrenbacher, which has continued to manufacture turntables in the Black Forest on the same traditional product line. They can be recognised by the CS code.
– Dual DGC Gmbh selling mostly rebranded consumer electronics made in the Far East (including the turntables with the DT code).
Turntables from the Dual 12XX series were manufactured in the early 70s and “put” by the producer in various types of enclosures, also in cooperation with other known German brands (such as Saba, Nordmende, Wega), which did not want to produce their own mechanisms.
The presented model 1226 was manufactured entirely by Dual in a wooden, very simple, we could even say minimalist enclosure. The well-balanced arm combines low weight and high rigidity, and the knob marked with numbering allows precise and easy adjustment of pressure depending on the selected cartridge model. Currently, the turntable is equipped with a good quality Shure M91 magnetic cartridge and a Shure stylus that provides a warm, soft and selective sound.
The turntable has been fully reviewed and serviced.
– professionally calibrated with a Shure M91 magnetic cartridge and a new Shure eliptic stylus
– double dampening system (spring-balanced-damping)
– motor: four-pole Dual asynchronous
– torsion-resistant tubular aluminium tonearm in four point gimbal bearing
– the cover has been re-polished and rewaxed, which made it look like new again
– suspended system (floating system)
– plate: 270 mm, 1,8 kg, non-magnetic, removable
– the case is made of teak wood, finished with oil produced of natural Chinese oils, natural wood colour
– drive mechanically separated and uncoupled
– vibration damping coefficient
– adjustable speed of 33 or 45 rpm
– solid, mechanically damped aluminum plate with a thick antistatic mat
– wow and flutter: 0.12% WRMS
– rumble: 57dB
– adjustable anti – skating and cushioned tone arm lifting system
– pitch control: 6%
– START-STOP function ensuring automatic return of the arm when the playback is finished
– dimensions: 43,5 cm, 36,5 cm, 22 cm (WxDxH)
– record changer
– new braided power and signal cables
– weight ca. 10 kg
– produced in 1972-74