Dual CS 1249 turntable. Classic Vintage. Fully revitalised. Shure DM 101 MG cartridge.
The Dual company was established on February 1st 1907 in Black Forest (Germany) by two brothers, Christian and Joseph Steidinger, as a fine mechanics factory specialising in manufacturing of clockwork and gramophone parts. In 1927, Gebrüder Steidinger changed its name to Dual in reference to the dual-mode power supplies which allowed gramophones to be powered from the mains or with a wind-up mechanism. Soon after, the company began producing turntables of its own. After the Second World War, it became the biggest manufacturer of turntables in Europe. However, Dual, managed by the Germans, did not withstand the Japanese competition and after the bankruptcy in 1982 it was sold to Thomson. In 1988 it was bought by Schneider Rundfunkwerke AG, a German company. Between 1970 and 1990 it also produced other audio and video equipment such as: cassette players, VCRs, CD players etc.
In 1993-34, Dual was split into:
– Dual Phono Gmbh acquired by a company called Alfred Fehrenbacher, which has continued to manufacture turntables in the Black Forest on the same traditional product line. They can be recognised by the CS code.
– Dual DGC Gmbh selling mostly rebranded consumer electronics made in the Far East (including the turntables with the DT code).
For the American market (after the insolvency of Schneider Rundfunkwerke AG in 2001) the right to use Dual brand was bought by a Chinese company called TCL Holdings, which passed it on to a Korean company called Namsung Electronics in 2002. Currently Dual Electronics Corporation manufactures audio, video and GPS equipment to be installed in cars, boats and at home.
Dual 1249 is one of the later models of the 12XX series, which was produced in the second half of the 70s. It is a fully automatic belt drive turntable with an 8-pole synchronous motor. This model is equipped with a Single play /Multi play mode switch. Single play is the single record play mode, while the multi one plays max. 6 records when a changer is installed. It is worth mentioning that, according to the Dual brochure from the 70s, “thanks to advanced design and unsurpassed functions, Dual 1249 meets all the requirements of even the most critical hifi enthusiasts.”
The presented model is equipped with the legendary Shure DM 101 MG cartridge and a dedicated eliptic stylus that provides a very wide space and accurately reproduces the music scene. The sound is extremely dynamic and “lively” and at the same time not unpleasant to the ear, which means that Shure V15 III will be loved by fans of both strong and light sounds.
The turntable has been fully reviewed and serviced.
– professionally calibrated with a Shure DM 101 MG cartridge and a dedicated eliptic stylus
– double dampening system (spring-balanced-damping)
– the plate has been mechanically re-polished, which made it look like new again
– motor: 8-pole Dual synchronous motor
– torsion-resistant tubular aluminium tonearm in four point gimbal bearing
– the cover has been re-polished and rewaxed, which made it look like new again
– suspended system (floating system)
– plate: removable
– the case is made of egzotic meranti wood, finished with oil produced of natural Chinese oils, natural wood colour
– drive mechanically separated and uncoupled
– vibration damping coefficient
– speed control: backlit stroboscope
– adjustable speed of 33 or 45 rpm
– solid, mechanically damped aluminum plate with a thick antistatic mat
– wow and flutter: 0.09% WRMS
– rumble: 63dB
– adjustable anti – skating and cushioned tone arm lifting system
– START-STOP function ensuring automatic return of the arm when the playback is finished
– dimensions: 44 cm, 37 cm, 19 cm (WxDxH)
– new braided power and signal cables
– weight ca. 9 kg
– year of production 1970-80