Dual CS 606 turntable. Classic Vintage. Fully revitalised. Dual ULM 55 E cartridge.
The Dual company was established on February 1st 1907 in Black Forest (Germany) by two brothers, Christian and Joseph Steidinger, as a fine mechanics factory specialising in manufacturing of clockwork and gramophone parts. In 1927, Gebrüder Steidinger changed its name to Dual in reference to the dual-mode power supplies which allowed gramophones to be powered from the mains or with a wind-up mechanism. Soon after, the company began producing turntables of its own. After the Second World War, it became the biggest manufacturer of turntables in Europe. However, Dual, managed by the Germans, did not withstand the Japanese competition and after the bankruptcy in 1982 it was sold to Thomson. In 1988 it was bought by Schneider Rundfunkwerke AG, a German company. Between 1970 and 1990 it also produced other audio and video equipment such as: cassette players, VCRs, CD players etc.
In 1993-34, Dual was split into:
– Dual Phono Gmbh acquired by a company called Alfred Fehrenbacher, which has continued to manufacture turntables in the Black Forest on the same traditional product line. They can be recognised by the CS code.
– Dual DGC Gmbh selling mostly rebranded consumer electronics made in the Far East (including the turntables with the DT code).
For the American market (after the insolvency of Schneider Rundfunkwerke AG in 2001) the right to use Dual brand was bought by a Chinese company called TCL Holdings, which passed it on to a Korean company called Namsung Electronics in 2002. Currently Dual Electronics Corporation manufactures audio, video and GPS equipment to be installed in cars, boats and at home.
Dual 606 is a direct-drive turntable produced at the turn of the 70s and 80s, i.e. the “golden age of audio”. On the basis of laboratory tests and listening tests conducted in 1979 by “REAL Sound”, Dual 606 received the “Excellent” rating. It was also distinguished by “Fono Forum 6/80” and put first among the 14 turntables tested (including the Thorens and Grundig brands). The presented model is equipped with the original ULM 55 E cartridge with a dedicated elliptical stylus.
The device has been completely checked and serviced.
– professionally calibrated with a Dual ULM 55 E cartridge and a new dedicated eliptic stylus
– double dampening system (spring-balanced-damping)
– motor: EDS 500 electronically controlled direct drive system
– torsion-resistant tubular aluminium tonearm in four point gimbal bearing
– the cover has been re-polished and rewaxed, which made it look like new again
– suspended system (floating system)
– plate: 304 mm, 1,4 kg, non-magnetic, dynamically balanced, detachable.
– the case is made of egzotic Amazaque wood, finished with oil produced of natural Chinese oils, natural wood colour
– speed control: backlit stroboscope
– drive mechanically separated and uncoupled
– vibration damping coefficient
– adjustable speed of 33 or 45 rpm
– solid, mechanically damped aluminum plate with a thick antistatic mat
– wow and flutter: 0.03% WRMS
– rumble: 75dB
– adjustable anti – skating and cushioned tone arm lifting system
– dimensions: 44 cm, 37 cm, 17 cm (WxDxH)
– new braided power and signal cables
– weight ca. 8 kg
– produced in 1979-80