Lenco L75 turntable. Ortofon AS-212 arm. Shure V15 III cartridge. Shure VN 35 MR stylus. Fully revitalized.
Lenco was founded in 1946 in Burgdorf, Switzerland, by the married couple Fritz and Marie Laeng, who had been running an electrical business since 1925. The couple opened a small turntable factory, naming the brand (according to Marie’s idea) Lenco after their last name. Due to the reliability of the products sold and excellent service, the company’s reputation quickly grew, and in 1961, in Osimo another factory – Lenco Italiana was established.
One of the company’s partners was ExLibris-Komet, which designed Lenco turntables with a built-in tube amplifier. The company also cooperated with Goldring, the producer of audio equipment and worldwide exporter. The collaboration was so strong that for a period of time the legendary L75 turntables were sold by Goldring as GL75. Over time, Lenco evolved and exported products to over eighty countries. However, in 1974 Marie Laeng died, the entire world economy was in crisis, and Asia was flooding Europe with good and inexpensive turntables. In consequence the company was forced to reduce its product portfolio and the number of employees. When Lenco AG Burgdorf was declared bankrupt three years later, Lenco Audio AG was established immediately. Its sole task was to provide repair and post-warranty service of the equipment sold. In 1978, Fritz Laeng died, and in 1997 the name Lenco was taken over by the Dutch company Lenco STL Group, and then 8 years later by Commaxx International NV. Today, the “smart-choice” consumer electronics products are sold under the Lenco brand, including turntables, radios and speakers.
The company’s greatest achievement was the legendary and best-selling L 75 turntable, launched in 1967. This model was considered to be a benchmark and was almost indestructible, mainly thanks to its solid structure, reliable direct drive and an extremely heavy (4 kg!), stable platter.
In the presented model, the arm was replaced with the Ortofon AS-212, which is considered an audio product with the highest degree of precision. When designing and constructing the AS 212, the goal was to make the arm easy to use while maintaining the best quality materials.
The enclosure has been completely revitalized – meranti wood. Wood finishing is Chinese oil produced from natural oils and natural turpentine-based beeswax. The wood is extremely nice to the touch. In addition, it is equipped with a high-quality Shure V 15 III cartridge with a dedicated Shure VN 35 MR elliptical stylus that provides a very wide space and precisely reproduces the soundstage.
The device has been fully reviewed and serviced.
– a professionally calibrated Shure V15 III cartridge snd Shure VN 35 MR stylus
– idler direct drive, 4-pole constant speed motor with conical motor spindle
– distortion-free, statically balanced S-shaped Ortofon AS-212 arm
– the plate has been mechanically polished, which gave it a totally brand new look
– the cover has been re-polished and waxed, which gave it a totally brand new look
– new power cord and braided signal cables
– plate – die-cast aluminum alloy, weight 4 kg
– new high-quality legs made of solid aluminum, glass-matte
– enclosure made of meranti wood, finishing with oil produced from natural Chinese oils, natural wood colour
– high vibration damping factor
– adjustable speed – 16, 33, 45, 78 rpm
– adjustable anti-skating system, cushioned arm lifting system
– solid, mechanically damped aluminum plate with a thick antistatic mat
– noise and flutter – 0.6%
– signal-to-noise ratio – 60 dB
– dimensions of the turntable – width 46,5 cm, depth 36 cm, height 18 cm
– weight – approximately 14 kg
– year of production 1967
– made in Switzerland
– total arm length – 300 mm
– effective length – 228 mm
– rotation to the spindle – 212 mm
– overhang – 16 mm
– shift angle – 22.7 degrees
– effective mass – 12 – 18g – depending on the position of the counterweight
– axle friction – 20 mg horizontally – 10 mg vertically
– tracking force range – 0-2g (3g insert)
– height adjustment – 32 – 55 mm
– arm base diameter – 26.5 mm
– total weight – 390g