Luxman SQ 38FD tube amplifier. Classic Vintage. Fully revitalized.
Kinsuido started in Osaka in 1925 as a producer of photo frames. Its second president initiated the LUX brand that created radio receivers. Kinsuido published a book that was advertised with the slogan “Reading it once makes you an expert in the field of radio.” This item has proved to be a bestseller, has 14 editions and to this day continues to shape the minds of sound engineers. In addition, Kinsuido was the first company in Japan to display and sell radios in stores. Many people stopped just to listen to the beauty of the sound. At that time, Japanese listeners were addicted to the technology coming from the United States and Europe. Import of radio equipment and parts was a long-term undertaking for Lux Corporation. Later, the company decided that to successfully compete as a supplier and reduce import costs, it also had to produce parts on its own. This triggered the creation of the Luxman brand. At the turn of the 70s and 80s, Luxman gained worldwide renown thanks to the quality of sound produced by its equipment, and above all its tube amplifiers. In 1984, the company was taken over by the Japanese brand Alpine Electronics. The decision to include the prestigious Luxman brand in the market war with commercial Yamaha almost led to its collapse. Alpine sold the brand in 1994 and since then Luxman Corporation could again focus on its main goal, i.e. creating the best audiophile equipment in the world. In 2009, Luxman Corporation was acquired by International Audio Group Ltd. IAG and to this day is one of the oldest manufacturers of electronic components in Japan, which is reflected in the slogan of Ultimate Fidelity since 1925.
The SQ-38 is a cult Luxman tube amplifier designed by the outstanding Japanese engineer Kazouyouki Doi and produced since 1963. The FD model is characterized by a beautiful, simple design and a very solid construction made of the highest quality materials, weighing as much as 28kg. In addition, the amplifier is distinguished by a specific warm, smooth and soft sound. The sounds are rounded and very pleasant to the ear, the extremely rich music scene that lets a listener feel like being at a concert. This model is especially recommended to jazz and soul lovers.
The enclosure has been stripped of old paint coatings. Indian rosewood adds amazing charm to Luxman. The wood finish is Chinese oil produced from natural oils and wax based on natural beeswax. The wood is extremely nice to the touch.
– replacement of capacitors in the anode power supply
– replacement of volume potentiometers (before power amplifier and before equalizer)
– replacement of electrolytic capacitors in cathodes (equalizer, power amplifier)
– replacement of column switches (MAIN – REMOTE)
– adjustment of operating points, power lamps (pmax lamp 30W, catalog setting – PA – 25.4W, IA – 60mA, UA – 423V)
– negative voltage regulation for power lamp grids
– leakage and ESR check of all capacitors
– checking the resistance of all resistors
– upgrade of the amplifier to factory settings
– power: 2 x 30W at 8Ohm, stereo
– frequency range – 20 Hz – 20 kHz
– total harmonic distortion: 0.7%
– input sensitivity: 2.2mV (MM), 200mV (line)
– lamps – 4 x 12AX7, 2 x 6267, 2 x 6DT8, 4 x 50CA10
– damping factor 15
– dimensions: 48cm x 19cm x 34cm (W x H x D)
– impedance 4 Ohm – 16 Ohm
– power supply 100V, 50 / 60Hz
– year of production 1970
– made in Japan
– weight: 28 kg