Pioneer PL 550X turntable. Classic Vintage. Fully revitalized. Shure V15 IV cartridge
In 1937 Nozomu Matsumoto created the first magnetoelectric speaker in Japan, and a year later, he registered in Tokyo the company with the name Fukuin Shokai Denki Seisakusho. In 1961, the company’s name was changed to Pioneer Electronic Corporation. However, the breakthrough came in 1962, when the company entered the Tokyo Stock Exchange and created the world’s first stereo system with speakers in separate housings. Four years later, Pioneer opened branches in the USA and in Europe.
In 1978, the company created one of the best-known and most powerful receivers in its history SX-1980. Pioneer can also be proud of great successes in the world of auto-moto, as it introduced in 1975 the world’s first automotive stereo subassembly, then in 1984 a CD player and GPS navigation in 1990. The company also played a major role in the development of DVDs, plasma TVs and Organic LED display technologies (OLED). The company is currently a part of Pioneer & Onkyo Corporation.
The PL 550 X is Pioneer’s iconic direct-drive turntable from the second half of the seventies. This model is distinguished by a very solid, precise structure and an extremely simple and elegant wooden enclosure. Even more noteworthy is the beautiful, smooth and warm sound that the PL 550X together with the Shure V15 IV cartridge deliver to this day. It is often described as one of the best representatives of the “golden age of audio”.
The enclosure of the presented model has been completely revitalized – American cherry wood has been used with finishing in Chinese oil produced from natural oils. Additionally, it is equipped with the legendary Shure V15 IV cartridge with a dedicated elliptical stylus that provides a very wide space and precisely reproduces the soundstage.
The device has been fully reviewed and serviced.
– Shure V15 IV cartridge professionally calibrated with the turntable and a dedicated Tonar Diamond VN35HE elliptical stylus
– direct drive – Hall quartz engine
– distortion-free, statically balanced S-shaped arm
– the plate has been mechanically polished, which gave it a totally brand new look
– the cover has been re-polished and waxed, which gave it a totally brand new look
– new power cord and braided signal cables
– plate – 324 mm, die-cast aluminum alloy
– the enclosure is made of American cherry wood, finishing with oil produced from natural Chinese oils, the colour of natural wood
– high vibration damping factor
– adjustable speed of 33 or 45 rpm
– speed control range + – 6%
– adjustable anti-skating system, cushioned arm lifting system
– solid, mechanically damped aluminum plate with a thick antistatic mat
– noise and flutter: 0.025%
– signal-to-noise ratio of 70 dB
– dimensions of the turntable: width 44 cm, depth 35 cm, height 18 cm
– weight approximately 14 kg
– year of production 1976/78
– made in Japan