Pioneer PL A500S turntable. Classic Vintage. Fully revitalized. Ortofon 2M Black cartridge.
In 1937 Nozomu Matsumoto created the first magnetoelectric speaker in Japan, and a year later, he registered in Tokyo the company with the name Fukuin Shokai Denki Seisakusho. In 1961, the company’s name was changed to Pioneer Electronic Corporation. However, the breakthrough came in 1962, when the company entered the Tokyo Stock Exchange and created the world’s first stereo system with speakers in separate housings. Four years later, Pioneer opened branches in the USA and in Europe.
In 1978, the company created one of the best-known and most powerful receivers in its history SX-1980. Pioneer can also be proud of great successes in the world of auto-moto, as it introduced in 1975 the world’s first automotive stereo subassembly, then in 1984 a CD player and GPS navigation in 1990. The company also played a major role in the development of DVDs, plasma TVs and Organic LED display technologies (OLED). The company is currently a part of Pioneer & Onkyo Corporation.
PL A500S is a fully automatic, direct-drive turntable from Pioneer from the second half of the 70s. This model is distinguished by its solid and precise design, as well as a simple and elegant wooden enclosure with brushed aluminum elements. What is especially appreciated in the PL A500S are the smooth, steady spins that guarantee silent work and high quality, distortion-free sound reproduction. Its fans say it can satisfy the most demanding ear as it brings out the best of any record.
This model has been equipped with the highest quality Ortofon 2M Black cartridge.
The enclosure has been fully revitalized – pear wood was used with finishing in Chinese oil produced from natural oils. Additionally, it has been equipped with the legendary Ortofon 2M Black cartridge with a dedicated elliptical stylus that provides a very wide space and precisely reproduces the soundstage.
The device has been fully reviewed and serviced.
– Ortofon 2M Black cartridge professionally calibrated with the turntable
– direct drive – brushless Hall DC servo motor
– distortion-free, statically-balanced, S-shaped arm
– the cover has been re-polished and waxed, which gave it a totally brand new look
– new power cord and braided signal cables
– platter: 330 mm, aluminum alloy die casting
– the enclosure is made of pear wood, wood finish is oil produced from natural Chinese oils, the colour of natural wood
– the top plate has been cleaned of old coatings and painted using the automotive wet painting technique
– high vibration damping factor
– adjustable speed of 33 or 45 rpm
– speed control range +-2%
– adjustable anti-skating system, cushioned arm lifting system
– solid, mechanically damped aluminum plate with a thick antistatic mat
– noise and flutter: 0.03%
– signal-to-noise ratio of 70 dB
– dimensions of the turntable: width 48 cm, depth 39 cm, height 17 cm
– weight about 11 kg
– year of production 1976/78
– made in Japan
2M Black cartridge specifications:
– the entire needle made of diamond with advanced line contact cut (Shibata) significantly increases the contact area with the groove walls and provides exceptionally detailed sound reproduction across the entire spectrum
– the cartridge body made of Hopelex, an environmentally friendly material that provides high rigidity while eliminating unwanted resonances
– improved drive with split poles and silver-plated copper wire
2M Black is the best; it is precise, provides resolution and proper insight into the recording.
The producer grants a 24-month warranty period.
Technical data of the cartridge:
– Output voltage at 1000 Hz, 5cm/sec. – 5 mV
– Channel balance at 1 kHz – 1 dB
– Channel separation at 1 kHz – 26 dB
– Channel separation at 15 kHz – 15 dB
– Frequency response – 20-20.000 + 2 / – 0 dB
– Tracking ability at 315Hz at recommended tracking force – 80 um
– Compliance, dynamic, lateral – 22 um/mN
– Stylus type – Nude Shibata
– Stylus tip radius – r/R 6/50 um
– Tracking force range – 1.4-1.7 g (14-17 mN)
– Tracking force, recommended – 1.5 g (15 mN)
– Tracking angle – 20°
– Internal impedance, DC resistance – 1.2 kOhm
– Internal inductance – 630 mH
– Recommended load resistance – 47 kOhm
– Recommended load capacitance – 150-300 pF
– Cartridge colour, body/stylus – Black/Black
– Cartridge weight – 7.2 g