Sony ST 2950F tuner. Classic Vintage. Fully revitalized.
The company was established by Masaru Ibuka and Akio Morita in Tokyo in 1946 as Tokyo Tsushin Kenkyu-jo Research Institute, initialy providing service. A year later, it was transformed into a company called Tokyo Tsushin Kogyo Kabushiki Kaisha (abbreviated Totsuko), whose main purpose was the production of telecommunications equipment and voltmeters. The 50’s turned out to be crucial for the company. At that time, a tape recorder and transistor radio were created, and in 1955 a decision was made to use the SONY logo on Totsuko products. The name came from the Latin word “sonus” – sound and “sonny boy” – used in the US to describe a little boy. The 1960s were a period of rapid development and international expansion for the company. Then also TA-1120 was created, which is the world’s first stereo receiver based on silicon transistors. In 1979, the iconic SONY product appeared on the market, a portable “walkman” cassette player. In the following decades, the company also introduced and promoted trademarks such as discman, trinitron and playstation.
The company’s rapid growth has boosted sales and reputation. In 1960, the decision was made to open the first foreign branches in the USA and Switzerland, making Sony become a true international corporation.
The ST 2950F is an analog tuner manufactured in the mid-70s in Japan, distinguished by high quality and very good sensitivity. The simple and sophisticated design characteristic of Sony is also worth noting. The HF mixer (High-Blend key) provides excellent FM stereo with a significant reduction of background noise, additionally the mute button allows the listener to eliminate the noise when switching stations.
The enclosure has been completely revitalized, the metal elements have been sandblasted and painted using the automotive wet painting technique. New side boards made of Canadian maple wood give the set an elegant and refined look. The front panel is made of brushed aluminum.
New green illumination of the front panel.
The device has been fully reviewed and serviced.
– Mono/Stereo tuner
– FM tuning range 87,5 -108 MHz, doesn’t require re-tuning
– tuning bands FM, MW, LW, SW
– FM tuning range: 87,5 – 108 Mhz
– MW tuning range: 530 – 1605 khz
– LW tuning range: 150 – 350 khz
– SW tuning range: 6 – 18 Mhz
– sensitivity: 2uV (FM), 100uV (MW), 100uV (LW), 30uV (SW)
– signal-to-noise ratio: 68 dB (FM), 50 dB (MW), 50 dB (LW), 50 dB (SW)
– distortion: 0,6% (FM), 0,5% (MW), 0,5% (LW), 0,5% (SW)
– selectivity – 50dB (FM), 50dB (MW), 50dB (LW), 45dB (SW)
– frequency response – 40 Hz – 12,5 kHz (FM)
– output sensitivity 750 mV (FM)
– weight: 7,5 kg
– dimensions: 40cm x 15cm x 28cm (width x height x depth)
– year of production 1976/78
– produced in Japan